Does your dog need a new leash or collar that is built in the USA and guaranteed for life? Click here for the most incredible leashes, collars and more!
Have you ever wondered where dog breeds come from? Some breeds are evident as their name might imply an origin like the Irish Wolfhound, for example. But not all dog breeds have such prominent names eluding to their roots. In this article, we’ll dive into the most popular breeds and where they come from.
Origin Of Dogs
Dogs have been around on Earth for as long as us, in one form or another that is. If we consider wolves, foxes and other wild dog relatives around the world, it isn’t so hard to comprehend how our domesticated dogs have evolved over time.
Humans befriended dogs or maybe it was the other way around. I’ve not been able to obtain evidence to suggest one way or another. The likelihood is that it was mankind who made the first moves to domesticate and take advantage of wolves’ natural hunting and fighting abilities. Having a wolf at your side a few thousand years back could potentially have made all the difference in a person’s life.
Dogs Throughout History
If you take a good look at the historical evidence, you’ll find that there was an interaction between humans and dogs as long ago as 36,500 years ago. According to JJ Marks, there was evidence discovered in a cave in Belgium. It supported the relationship between dogs and humans coexisting in harmony at that time. I write about this in more detail in my article A History of Dogs and Humans Relationship by me, Farmer Jer.
Common Wild Dog Relatives Of The World
As all dogs came from wild canine relatives, I thought it prudent to explore some of the areas where common relatives of dogs exist. The following is a collection of some of the more common wild relatives of our furry friends. I find it interesting when considering where dog breeds come from.
Max Weight 43kg
Max height 92 cm
Max Weight 17 kg
Max Height 50 cm
Max Weight: 34 kg
Max height: 70 cm
Here's the best leashes and collars built in the US and guaranteed for life. Click here for the best American leashes, collars and more!
Max Weight: 34 kg
Max height: 107 cm
I bet your dog wants a leash or collar that is built in the USA and guaranteed for life. Click here for incredible leashes, collars and more!
African Painted Dog
Max Weight: 36 kg
Max height: 75 cm
Max Weight 25 kg
Max Height 56 cm
Max Weight: 31 lbs/14 kg
Max Height: 20 inches/50 cm
Range: South East Europe & Southern Asia
Mark, J. J. (2019, January 14). Dogs in the Ancient World. Ancient History Encyclopedia.
American Kennel Club
You’re Going To Love These Dog Articles
Hungry For More?
- The Best Dog Surveillance Cameras
- Dog House Reno – Insulating A Dog House
- Snow Salt and De-Icers- The Bane in Every Dog’s Winter Existence
- Dogs And Marijuana – A Guide For Dog Owners
- Dog Heartworm Facts And Fiction
- The Best Dogs To Keep Outdoors
- To Lick Or Not To Lick – Should I Let My Dog Lick Me?
- Tick Guide For Dog Owners
- Dog House Times Blog
- Tips And Precautions For Boating With Dogs
Dog Breed Information
- Top Small Dog Breeds In The UK
- Curly-Coated Retriever (Dog Breed Information)
- English Setter- (Dog Breed Information)
- Pointer (Dog Breed Information)- The Bird Dog
- Saarloos Wolfdog Breed Information
- Papillon Dog Breed (Information)
- Irish Setter (Dog Breed Information)
- Basenji Dog (Breed Information)
- Portuguese Waterdog (Breed Information)
- Gordon Setter- (Dog Breed Information)
- Irish Wolfhound- (Dog Breed Information)