Dogs love spending a lot of time outdoors, right? I know my dog loves to be outside. Our furry canine friends could literally spend all day outside without complaints. If your dog spends a lot of time outside, you probably have a dog house for it. But is your doghouse ready for the elements like rain and snow? Waterproofing your dog’s house is essential to keep your dog safe from said elements.
Waterproofing your dog’s house is critical to maintaining dry, health conditions that don’t promote mold or wood rot. Dog houses made of wood are the most critical to ensure proper waterproofing.
Creating a Safe Place for the dog house
You want to create a safe place for your dog’s dog house. Find a place in your backyard that is safe for the dog house. You probably have already done this, but a good reminder never hurts anybody.
For example, do you have a pathway in your backyard that needs to be shoveled when it snows? You want to ensure that the dog house is not too close to the path so that snow doesn’t get tossed on it. Do you have plants in the backyard? Be informed. Ensure you know what plants are safe for dogs and which aren’t.
There are many things needed to waterproof your dog’s house. So you will have to put a lot of time and effort into it.
3 Great Ways To Waterproof Your Dog House
Sealing The Roof Of The Dog House
You could use tar paper to waterproof the roof. Tar paper is a heavy-duty paper used a lot in construction. Its use is for waterproofing roofs to prevent moisture from entering the roof of the dog house.
The best way to install tar paper is by using staples or short roofing nails. Just ensure they don’t stick through to the inside where your dog could scratch their head on them. Alternatively, you could also use non-asphaltic adhesives.
Another way is to shingle the roof after you have added tar paper. Roofing shingles protect rooftops from the impact of rain, hail, and snow, as well as waterproofing. Basically, they are safeguarding the roof. Good shingles have upwards of 20 year lifespan, so it’s possible the dog house roof will outlive your dog. Better that than redoing it in a few years.
To learn more about the different types of dog house roofing materials, please read our guide.
As an alternative to the above, you could use Liquid Rubber waterproof sealant/coating to waterproof your dog house.
About Liquid Rubber
- Environmentally Friendly- Liquid Rubber Waterproof Sealant is water-based and contains no solvents or VOCs. It is safe to use indoors and outdoors, and you do not need to wear respiratory masks to use it. Your family and pets are safe around this product. Although, play it safe, just in case. I never trust everything I read on a label, and you probably shouldn’t either.
- Used for Flat Roofs, Metal Roofs, Foundations, Ponds, Sheds, Basements, Wood, Concrete
- Applying this is like painting except you use heavy coats to build up your waterproof membrane. Apply using a brush, roller, or good quality paint sprayer
- UV Stable-Final membrane has over 1000% Elongation and the sun will not degrade the product
Waterproofing The Sides of The Dog House
You have waterproofed the roof, now you need to waterproof the walls of the dog house. First I would use Liquid Rubber as an extra sealant. The next step would be to fasten vinyl siding to the outside walls of your dog house. Make sure to use an end cap for the corners.
Vinyl siding can make a dog house look great in your backyard and will be the envy of every dog and owner in the neighborhood.
Vinyl siding also comes in many different colors, so you could change it every few years if you wish. If you don’t want to use vinyl siding on the sides of your dog house, then just use the Liquid Rubber. It lasts for years and extends the life of the dog house.
If you don’t like any of the above ideas, here’s a few more to try.
- Make an acrylic, lexan sheet, or other plastic roof. A simple angled roof out of a single sheet of plastic will work exceedingly well as a waterproof roof. Just use silicon glue to glue it on the roof of an existing dog house or build a dog house and make it an angled roof using the same glue to attach it to the walls.
- Multiple dog house roof materials exist. Choose one that suits your style and go for it.
An alternative to DIY. If you are not a person who likes to make things themselves, then you could purchase an out-door waterproof dog house. There are lots of ready-made dog houses that you can choose from.
Dog House Waterproofing Summary
Waterproofing your dog house is a lot of work, but very rewarding for your dog. If you put in the time and effort to do it your-self you will feel much better, and guess what? You have all the bragging rights. You may even get some neighbors asking you to waterproof their dog’s houses. Therefore, making some extra cash for yourself. Who doesn’t love extra cash?
Again if you are not the type to do DIY projects you could always just check Amazon.com. They have many different waterproof dog houses to choose from.
How much does it cost to build a dog house?
The cost of a dog house can be anywhere from $200-1000. Custom dog houses can cost more than $2000. It all really depends on what kind of dog house you want, and what your budget is.
Is rain bad for dogs?
Rain can be bad for dogs if they are left outside without any coverage like a dog house with a dry bed. If dogs are exposed to wet, cold weather for too long, their respiratory tract can become inflamed, which may lead to pneumonia. Older dogs are more at risk for this.
Can I take my dog out in the rain to do its business?
Yes, you can most definitely take your dog out in the rain to do its business. Your dog may not like being out in the rain, so the outing will most likely be short. Make sure your dog does do its business outside, or you may find that they go inside.
Give your dog treats for doing its business outside and you should not have a problem when taking your dog out in the rain for bathroom trips. To make it more comfortable for your dog in the rain, purchase a doggie raincoat and maybe some booties.
Do I need a concrete foundation for my dog house?
No, you do not need a foundation for the dog house. But it is a good idea if your dog stays outside a lot of the time. The ground freezes in winter, and gets cold and wet when it rains, making it unpleasant for your dog.
Is it okay to leave my dog outside in the winter?
No, it is not okay to leave your dog outside in the winter. There are dogs like Huskies who are more tolerant of cold weather, but no dog or pet should be left outside for a long period of time in the winter. You wouldn’t leave your child outside in the winter, would you? So, don’t leave your fur baby out there during the cold winter.
Are Dog Houses Good For Dogs?
A dog house is a good idea for a dog that will spend several hours a day outside. But, just like people, dogs are sensitive to the weather. Dogs that are built and bred for a rugged outdoor living can be harmed or worse by extreme cold and heat.
- WikiHow- https://www.wikihow.com/Build-a-Concrete-Foundation
- Wikipedia- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tar_paper
- Liquid Rubber – liquidrubber.ca
- Life experience. That’s right, I learned in the real world building stuff.
More dog House Build-Related Information
- How To Get Your Dog To Use Its House- A Training Guide
- The Best Dog House Building Materials
- Dog House Foundations – What To Set Your Dog House On
- The Best Dog Doors And Windows Buyer’s Guide (Best Quality)
- How To Make a Strip Curtain Door For Your Dog House (With Video)
- Dog House Reno – Enter The Mobile Dog House
- Wood Plank Style Free Dog House Plans
- Safe And Toxic Wood For Dog Houses